Sharing Knowledge Saving Lives
Children for Health is dedicated to the promotion of health education in developing countries, focused on developing children as agents of change and communicators of essential health messages in their families and communities.
Our Logo symbolises a child’s active and positive engagement and connection with a global communication network. The child is in a position of strength, with the means of communication in his/her hands, reaching out to acquire the knowledge he/she needs for himself and to share with others in order to live a healthy life.
Children for Health promotes child-focused health education in developing countries. We use many channels to work with projects, programmes and people. All our partners want the same thing – to involve and support children as ambassadors and communicators of essential health messages with their friends and in their families and communities. This is based on two key insights:
- That children in many communities in most countries in the world play a vital role looking after their siblings and friends, often without adult presence or supervision; and
- That providing health information to these children in a relevant, fun and compelling way delivers immediate and lasting benefits in disease prevention and treatment in their communities.
Alongside our partners, Children for Health researches, develops, promotes and distributes health education materials for children and their educators; these are free-of-charge, child-friendly and distributed effectively and efficiently through multiple channels: print, website, video, radio, text and mobile.
How We Do It
Content – activities – partners: Children for Health works hand in hand with other organisations and programmes. We build capacity. We offer technical advice, mentoring and training. We work to create teaching materials and programme strategy.
We work using our partner’s structures and systems. We work to strengthen, develop, deliver and evaluate effective health education for and with children. We do it in a way that is scalable.
From our website, we offer expertly curated health education content for free. This can be used with children from primary school age upwards. Our health messages and activities can be used, adapted and translated to fit existing programmes. Our mascots, ZuZu and ZaZa make learning fun and engaging. Our Stories for Health combine literacy with lifeskills and health and can be used in classrooms and at home. Our Posters for Health are “talking tools” that help partners, trainers and teachers recognise, understand and deepen opportunities for participatory work in health with children.
How It Works
At Children for Health we use lots of different ways to reach people, projects and programmes to help them mobilise children as health activists. We aim to give people who are interested practical and simple ways to work with children.
- We have our 100 messages and these can be taken from the website
- We collect and curate others’ materials on our ten topics and we add the best to our collection.
- We are growing a collection of videos and partnering with projects and with film makers to develop videos that can be easily viewed on a mobile and inspire good practice and planning.
- We are developing educational toolkits for the mobile phone and we have published one for people working with children in Sierra Leone. Contact us if you would like to see it.
- We are just at the start of developing some audio resources for listening as podcasts or broadcasting on the radio.
- We are often approached by partners who want help to develop health content for children or who want to use our content in their books and their websites.
- We are working to build resources on talking books and speaking books!
- We take photos wherever we go and we are building up a data base of images that we want to make available to practitioners to use for training and advocacy.
- We work with partners to develop posters or educational images that convey the messages and processes we use clearly and simply.
We like to be responsive and work with all those who share our vision. We are learning new ways to reach people all the time.
Meet the Team
Children for Health is made possible by a wonderful group of consultants, volunteers, students and associates all working under Clare Hanbury. Meet our team here.