Children for Health’s Messages on WORMS
Children for Health has developed its top 10 messages on WORMS!
Do you work with children? Do you work with any programmes who do? Please share these messages with them. We would love to hear feedback from practitioners and others who might use or adapt such messages.
- Millions of children have worms living inside their body, in a part called ‘the intestines’ this is where the food we eat is used by our body.
- Different kinds of worms can live in our bodies like roundworm, whipworm, hookworm and bilharzia (schistosomiasis). There are others too!
- Worms can make us feel ill or weak. They can cause stomach aches coughs, fever and sickness.
- Worms live inside your body so you might not know they are there but sometime you can see worms in your poo.
- Worms and their eggs get in to our bodies in different ways: some get in from food or drink like unsafe water. Others get in through bare feet.
- Killing worms with ‘de-worming’ treatment is easy and cheap. It’s given by health workers every 6 or 12 months or more for some worms.
- Worm eggs live in pee and poo. Use latrines or get rid of pee and poo safely. Wash your hands with soap after you pee or poo, and if you help someone younger so worm eggs don’t get on your hands.
- Stop worms getting into your body by washing hands with soap after a pee or poo, washing fruit and vegetables, before preparing food, eating or drinking and by wearing shoes.*
- Some worms live in the soil so always wash your hands with soap after touching soil.
- When watering plants to eat, make sure you use water that cannot have human pee or poo in it.
The messages can be used by educators to use with children, as SMS text messages for older children or for households or ideas for campaigns, quizzes or games and on the social media. To find out what children and make and do about Intestinal Worms, check out our dedicated page.
How about helping children to make a Rainbow Stick to record the messages they learn? Read more about the Rainbow Stick idea by clicking here!