Diarrhoea causes dehydration and severe diarrhoea kills millions of children worldwide.
Older children can learn and share knowledge about the causes of diarrhoea, the dangers of dehydration and to raise awareness about the need for rehydration, washing hands and other important hygiene practices.
Use the tabs 1-10 above to read our Top Ten Messages on Diarrhoea for children to learn and share. Scroll down to see ideas on what children can do to understand, find out more, take action and reflect on this topic.
Download our 100 Messages PDF to have a copy of all our messages for printing and sharing.
View our Diarrhora messages in Many More Languages too!
learn, collect & share these messages!
CHILDREN SAY THAT WE CAN…
MAKE our own Diarrhoea Messages using our own words in our own language!
LEARN these messages so we never forget them!
ADD these messages to our collection!
SHARE these messages with other children and our families!
WHAT CAN CHILDREN MAKE?
MAKE a simple fly trap to keep flies that carry germs away from our food.
MAKE a poster to show others these danger signs so they can get help when they need to.
CREATE a short play about when we need to call the health worker to help.
MAKE a snakes and ladders game to help us learn how to stop diarrhoea.
MAKE First Aid Kits for home and school that has ORS.
WHAT CAN CHILDREN DO?
ROLE PLAY two mothers talking about how to help their babies with diarrhoea get better.
PLAY the labelling game to test our knowledge of all the signs of dehydration in a baby.
LOOK at how plants need water to grow – find out what happens when plants don’t have water.
HELP prevent diarrhoea by keeping ourselves and the places we live clean.
PLAY the handshaking game to find out how quickly germs can spread.
WHAT CAN CHILDREN ASK?
HOW long were our parents breastfed?
HOW to treat diarrhoea at home with ORS and zinc?
WHAT are the danger signs that mean we need to get help from a health worker?
WHAT drinks are safe when we have diarrhoea?
HOW we can make water safe to drink by using sunlight?
WHICH drinks are safe when we don’t have any ORS?
WHAT are dysentery and cholera and how do they spread?
ALL 10 MESSAGES…
- Diarrhoea is watery poo that happens three or more times a day.
- Diarrhoea is caused by germs getting into the mouth from contaminated food, drink or touching the mouth with dirty fingers, or using dirty spoons and cups.
- The loss of water and salts makes the body weak. Unless these are replaced, diarrhoea can kill young children quickly from dehydration.
- Diarrhoea can be prevented by giving extra safe drinks like safe water or coconut or rice water. Babies need breast milk most of all.
- A child with diarrhoea may have a dry mouth and tongue, sunken eyes, no tears, loose skin, cool hands and feet and in babies a sunken soft spot on the head.
- Children doing more than 5 watery poos/day or with bloody poo or who become sick MUST be seen by a health worker.
- ORS stands for ‘Oral Rehydration Salts’. Find ORS at clinics & shops. Mix it right with clean safe water to make the best drink for diarrhoea.
- Most medicines do not work, but zinc pills stop diarrhoea sooner for children over 6 months. ORS drinks MUST be given as well.
- Young children with diarrhoea need tasty, mashed food as often as possible to make their bodies stronger.
- Diarrhoea can be prevented by breastfeeding babies, good hygiene habits, immunisation (especially against rotavirus and measles) and by making sure food is safe.