Coughs, colds and pneumonia affect millions of people worldwide and can even kill.
Older children can learn how to avoid coughs or colds, stop them spreading and prevent them developing. They can learn about good hygiene practices. They can learn to recognize rapid breathing and the importance of getting an infant with rapid breathing to a health worker for urgent life-saving treatment.
Use the tabs 1-10 above to read our Top Ten Messages on Coughs, Colds and Pneumonia for children to learn and share. Scroll down to see ideas on what children can do to understand, find out more, take action and reflect on this topic.
Download our 100 Messages PDF to have a copy of all our messages for printing and sharing.
View our Coughs, Colds & Pneumonia messages in Many More Languages too!
learn, collect & share these messages!
CHILDREN SAY THAT WE CAN…
MAKE our own Coughs, Colds & Pneumonia Messages using our own words in our own language!
LEARN these messages so we never forget them!
ADD these messages to our collection!
SHARE these messages with other children and our families!
WHAT CAN CHILDREN ASK?
WHAT are the danger signs for pneumonia? Share what we learn with our families.
EVERYONE has a right to breathe clean, smoke free air. Where is smoking banned? Is your school smoke free?
WHAT makes us breathe fast? We can measure our breathing to learn to identify fast breathing when someone is in danger from pneumonia.
WHAT are new and old ways to treat coughs and colds?
HOW are germs spread? Learn by playing the Handshaking Game.
HOW we can stop ourselves getting sick?
WHAT CAN CHILDREN MAKE?
MAKE a plan of your house. Where is smoky, where is not? Where is safe for young children to play away from smoke?
MAKE a poster to encourage parents to take their children for immunisation against dangerous diseases like measles and whooping cough.
MAKE up a song about pneumonia and share it with our family and friends!
MAKE a pendulum to help us learn when breathing is fast and when breathing is normal and show what we have learnt to our families.
MAKE our own play about breastfeeding babies.
MAKE a play about keeping cool with a fever and warm with a cold.
MAKE a Tippy Tap for home and school to help wash our hands with soap before eating and after using the toilet.
WHAT CAN CHILDREN DO?
LEARN how to wash your hands with soap and water to stop germs spreading and protect yourself against coughs and colds.
TEST our knowledge of pneumonia by acting out different scenarios that could be pneumonia or could be a cold.
READ the story about Meena and Rani’s four visits for her immunisations.
Now browse our
Closing Games & Activities
ALL 10 MESSAGES…
COUGHS, COLDS & PNEUMONIA
- Smoke from cooking fires has tiny bits in it that can go into the lungs and cause illness. Avoid smoke by cooking outside, or where fresh air comes in and smoke escapes.
- Smoking tobacco makes lungs weak. Breathing smoke from other people smoking is also harmful.
- Everyone gets coughs and colds. Most get better quickly. If a cough or colds last more than 3 weeks, go to a health clinic.
- There are types of germs called bacteria and others called viruses. Viruses cause most coughs and colds and can’t be killed using medicine.
- Lungs are the part of the body that breathes. Coughs or cold makes lungs weak. Pneumonia is a bacteria germ that causes serious illness in weak lungs.
- A sign of pneumonia (a serious illness) is fast breathing. Listen to the breath. Watch the chest going up and down. Other signs are fever, sickness & chest pain.
- Fast breathing is 40-50 (babies) or 60 (older children) breaths a minute or more. A child breathing FAST must go to a health worker FAST!
- A good diet (breastfeeding babies) a smoke-free home and immunisation prevents serious illness like pneumonia.
- Treat a cough or cold by keeping warm, drinking tasty drinks often (like soup and juice), resting and keeping the nose clean.
- Stop coughs, colds and other illnesses spreading from one to another. Keep hands, eating and drinking utensils clean and cough into paper.