These messages were developed over many months with imput from experts, teachers and doctors. We developed a great poster for people to display in schools, medical facsilities and anywhere children are.
If you’re unable to download the poster, please read on for the 10 messages.
- Our body breaks down what we eat and drink into fuel that our bodies need to grow, move and think. This is called digestion.
- During digestion, some of what we eat and drink is turned into a sugar called glucose. Food like rice, bread, French fries, and noodles and snacks like candy, crackers, desserts and sweet drinks turn into glucose quickly.
- When we move, our bodies use energy from glucose. If we stay still for too long, the glucose is not used and too much is left in the body.
- There are different types of diabetes. Type 2 is the most common. It is mainly caused by eating too many processed foods, sugary foods, drinking too many sugary drinks and not moving enough.
- Type 2 Diabetes is a health condition that happens when there is too much glucose in the blood. It can make a person tired, weak, thirsty and feel ill but some people do not feel any symptoms.
- Prevent Type 2 Diabetes! 1. Eat and drink less sugar. 2. Eat meals with colourful fruits and vegetables. 3. Move more. 4. Drink mostly water. 5. Get eight hours of sleep at night.
- Type 2 Diabetes affects the circulation of the blood. If not controlled it can damage the eyes, heart, kidneys, nerves, skin and lower limbs.
- To make sure our body is strong inside and out, we must be as active as we can.
- Prediabetes happens when sugar levels in the blood are high. It can be reduced by eating well and moving more. More and more children have prediabetes which can lead to Type 2 diabetes.
- Changing what we eat and drink and moving more can be HARD at first. Help from friends and family can make eating healthy and moving more fun for everyone. Start today with one small change.